Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) Officers at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) Officer
Location: Kaduna, Abuja
Reference Number For Kaduna: KAD/DEVPRGGM/2018/0002
Reference Number For Abuja: ABV/DEVPRGGM/2018/00006
Position Status: Full-time
Salary Level: Level 4
Program / Department Summary
- The Educating Nigerian Girls in New Enterprises (ENGINE) is an initiative to improve learning outcomes and the economic status of marginalized adolescent girls aged 16-19 in the Northern Nigerian states of Kano and Lagos, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and the metropolis of Lagos, Nigeria.
- ENGINE through funding from the UK Department for International Development’s Girls Education Challenge, the Coca-Cola Company and other stakeholders supported over 18,000 marginalized girls to reduce education and financial barriers in its first implementation phase.
- In its second phase, ENGINE II will facilitate transition of these girls into functional literacy, numeracy and scale up their business opportunities and linkages. ENGINE II will further increase girls’ and young women’s access to (1) financial education and life skills; (2) peer to peer networks and mentoring; and (3) direct assets (materials and savings).
- Beneficiaries will be integrated into value chains as well as conduct other market-driven employment opportunities. ENGINE II will also work with girls in formal and informal education to increase their learning opportunities and outcomes to prepare them for future economic activities and work in the policy environment to provide an enabling environment for girls to flourish in their chosen pathways.
- Mercy Corps Nigeria is leading the implementation of ENGINE II programme with new and innovative solutions to scale up existing interventions to deliver quality education and skills to the hardest to reach girls.
- Mercy Corps will collaborate with other stakeholders at the state and federal level for the implementation of the ENGINE II programme, including the Nigerian Ministry of Education, Central Bank, National Youth Service Corps and as well as private sector actors.
General Position Summary
- The Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) Officer will coordinate and collaborate closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Advisor on all aspects of monitoring, evaluation, learning, research, and information management to support the development of appropriate monitoring, tracking and reporting systems, tools and templates that enhance monitoring of project outputs and quality.
- S/he will plan and implement activities that ensure adherence to Mercy Corps’ and DFID standards, including the use of standardised indicators and documentation methodologies. Throughout the life of the programme, s/he will be responsible for:
- Designing and conducting assessments and evaluations;
- Supporting the tracking of the implementation of partner MEL activities, including baselines, endlines, post-distribution surveys, etc. as specified by partners’ targets to meet programme level indicators;
- Producing analytical summaries: graphs, charts, tables, narratives and appealing visuals, as requested, to fulfil internal and external reporting requirements and advocacy purposes;
- Maintaining digital filing systems for MEL tools and documentation;
- Participating in the facilitation of meetings/workshops/trainings to help increase the capacity of local staff and implementing partners in the planning and implementation of programmes.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision:
- Recognise opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcome.
- Follow direction set by supervisor and by prioritising and organising actions and resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Support the development and organising of activities to secure resources for programmes and convince stakeholders to provide support.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL):
- Support the collection, alignment, and reporting of relevant programme indicators as part of Mercy Corps’ global Mission Metrics initiative.
- Support the analysis of data collected from the field. Use remote monitoring techniques to support data collection across programme implementation LGAs.
- Ensure that the database for ENGINE II is updated in real-time as data is received from the field.
- Make performance results available to relevant programme implementation personnel in so that they can be used for continuous improvement.
- Participate and contribute to developing and preparing high-quality quarterly and annual reports.
Management Information System:
- Ensure data quality through regular data quality assessment visits to project communities.
- Provide regular feedback to implementing partners’ and Mercy Corps’ MEL teams on data quality and performance against project milestone.
- Support monthly data upload and engage with project implementation personnel to ensure data availability and completeness.
- Ensure that the MIS for ENGINE II is updated, operational and accessible.
- Provide regular feedback on performance indicators at the state level based on analysed data.
Research and Documentation:
- Lead the coordination and administration of pre-and-post-tests and matching interest to work assessment conducted for beneficiaries of ENGINE II.
- Coordinate data entry and archival of pre-and-post-tests questionnaire and matching interest to work assessment.
- Support the development and dissemination of monthly learning data and update of performance data table with support of team members.
- Ensure proper storage of project evaluation data including pre-and-post-tests, matching Interest to Work Assessment and school performance records.
- Perform regular archival and retrieval of project documents, data, reports and email communications.
Communication and Capacity Building:
- Actively participate in meetings and processes to promote effective programme management
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Improve data quality through supportive supervisory visits to implementation personnel and beneficiaries
- Work with others in brainstorms and problem solving sessions to address shortfalls in monitoring, evaluation and information management that affect programme implementation.
- Utilise support from the Mercy Corps Nigeria Monitoring Evaluation and Learning team and information-sharing resources to enhance organisational learning.
- Support the development of success stories through provision of information and data.
- As part of the team that monitors ENGINE II, MEL officers working on ENGINE II will be included in organisational learning undertaken by the country Monitoring Evaluation and Learning team and would be required to join/attend and actively participate in trainings.
- MEL officers working on ENGINE II will supervise the collection and upload of data which is to be done by implementing personnel. M&E officers will also be required to provide data quality assurance on the data collected by implementing personnel.
- Reports To: MEL Advisor
- Works Directly With: ENGINE II knowledge management and programme teams, finance and compliance departments and other relevant MC staff.
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Development Studies, Information Technology, or a relevant field, with a strong foundation in monitoring and evaluation.
- Minimum of 3 years of MEL work experience in the development sector required especially at the community level; ideal candidate will have both theoretical and practical background in MEL and extensive experience in conducting statistical analysis and data quality assurance.
- Knowledge of reporting on programme implementation/evaluation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with: Excel, PowerPoint, and at least one statistical data analysis software
- Experience working in Kaduna state and the FCT.
- Fluency in written and verbal English required.
- The successful M&E Officer will have the ability to multi-task, set priorities, and work under tight deadlines within a complex team. S/he will demonstrate strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills and be committed to the values and mission of ENGINE II.
- S/he will take initiative and contribute to team efforts, as well as demonstrate ability to communicate. Multi-tasking, prioritising, problem solving and simultaneous attention to detail and working in a team to achieve a strategic vision are essential.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours .Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
30th May, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send not more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements and location to: [email protected]
Share This Job
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.